WHAT ARE WE TO DO?
The Apostle Paul warns his young protege', Timothy to be wary of folks attitude, "In the Last Days" ( 2 Timothy 3)
That's a very "churchy" term, "The Last Days". In the discussion of what that term means, I think, is lost a very good teaching on the human condition.
Paul is clear, to Timothy, that there will be dark days ahead, verse 1, "...There will be difficult times"
- People will love themselves and their money.
- They will be boastful, proud and scoffers of God.
- Considering nothing sacred...
- They will be cruel, hate what is good, Puffed up with pride and lovers of pleasure, rather than God
- They will ACT religious, but reject the power that could make them godly
So, What Are We to Do?
1- Follow Good Mentors. Good Leaders follow Good Leaders.
Good Mentor's develop good leaders.
One who does not submit to authority, has no authority and has no reason to be followed.
2- We must see the world from a realistic point of view. Not a pie-in-the-sky attitude nor a gloom and doom outlook.
Paul reminds us that there are evil people and imposter's will flourish, Deceiving others and being deceived, themselves.
3- We are to rely on the Holy Scripture of the Bible.
- Because it shapes the Christian worldview that is profoundly contrary to that of society, today
- It is the gateway to deeper understanding of God's love for us and growing/maturing our faith in Him.
- Last but not least, Scripture is "God-Breathed" and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness
Not bad, in itself, if it were not for the total lack of mention of Repentance, Our sinful nature, and our overwhelming need of a Saviour
4- Preach/Teach the Bible. Sola Scriptura, Scripture only.
- There is no need for "Extra-Biblical" revelation.
- The full revelation of God, for mankind, is complete and sealed in Scripture
- The church is being led astray by those who would make God and profitable business/cash cow.
We must remain faithful to the things we have been taught, it is trustworthy and true.
My View From the Coffee Cup